Ginger is a pungent root which grows in many tropical locations. Jamaican ginger is a favourite. For thousands of years it has been regarded as a wonder food and has been used to help with many different ailments. Here I will share a few of its benefits with you.
1. Ginger has several fat flushing benefits and can help you lose weight and maintain a healthy weight.
2. It contains a high amount of an antioxidant called gingerol. Gingerols are beneficial for many health issues from nausea to obesity to cancer. Over 5,000 years ago it was considered a “universal medicine” by the ancient Indians and Chinese and has been used to treat over 40 diverse conditions.
3. It helps to detoxify your body by aiding circulation and encourages “healthy” sweating.
4. It helps to lower blood cholesterol. It supports liver functioning and helps clean clogged arteries.
5. Ginger helps with digestion because it contains compounds which are similar to human digestive enzymes.
6. Ginger is a natural blood thinner and anticoagulant. This can help protect you against heart attacks and strokes. However, someone who is taking blood thinner medications should avoid ginger.
7. It help to boost seratonin, our “happy mood” neurotransmitter.
8. It helps to prevent motion sickness and nausea. This, of course, has become one of it’s claims to fame.
9. In Japan, studies have shown that ginger can help reduce blood pressure.
10. Ginger has been shown to raise body temperature and so assist in burning calories.
11. It has cancer fighting and prevention properties. Terpenes, along with gingerols, which are the main active compounds in ginger, have powerful anticancer properties and have been shown to actually destroy cancer cells.
12. It has a powerful anti-inflammatory action. It has helped arthritis patients find help in reducing the pain and swelling accompanying arthritis and subsequent increased mobility.
13. A bit of powdered ginger and sea salt makes an excellent toothpaste.
14. It helps people with asthma get rid of extra mucous in their lungs because of its expectorant qualities.